What to Wear for Great Family Portraits
Deciding what to wear is one of the most overlooked but important factors in making a beautiful family portrait. The choice of clothing and colors can unify the scene and naturally draw your focus to the faces without being distracting. Here are a few suggestions for choosing your outfit and coordinating with the rest of your family for your next portrait session.
- Be yourself and wear clothing that makes you feel great! It’ll show in the pictures.
- Consider the location or background. Your clothing should make sense in context.
- Select a primary color which unifies your family’s outfits to make them look cohesive.
- Allow for individuality so a little bit of each family member’s personality shows through.
- Choose tops with solid, subdued colors or simple patterns that won’t be distracting.
- Avoid clothing with busy prints, plaids or logos that compete with the subject — you!
- Choose similar tones for your top and bottom (either both dark or both light).
- Wear dark socks and footwear. No white socks or brightly-colored tennis shoes.